Monday, February 25, 2008

Desk protection

I have never owned coasters until now. Truth be told, I have hardly ever had a piece of furniture that required a coaster--most of it was so utilitarian or impermeable that a condensation or coffee or tea ring was not a problem.

But now that both Brian and I have desks at home that could be damaged by the errant glass or tea cup, I decided that it was finally time to get some coasters. Actually, it didn't work quite like that. I saw these coasters and realized that I loved them so much that I could finally justify their purchase rather than continuing to prop my tea cup on some piece of correspondence.

I bought them from the lovely, quirky Etsy shop of Robotcandy. It started with a Robot Sam the Answer Man coaster stocking stuffer for Brian:
And then I found myself wandering over to his desk mid-day and snagging it for my afternoon cup of tea. After forgetting a number of times to replace it before his evening beverage/computer time, I decided that additional purchases were necessary.

I went back to Robotcandy's shop and found the following perfect coasters. I don't really need three more coasters, but I figure it is good to be able to rotate them as my mood requires. So now I have:
My writing coaster
A kitty with glasses and an ink well to get me in that dweeby mood to write.

My knitting coaster
I'll forgive the girl for holding her needles wrong (the ends point down when you knit, for you non-fiberholics out there)

My I'm-freaking-out-and-having-a-bad-day coaster.
A bit of WWII advice from the British government puts my own problems in perspective.

Now the question arises which coaster will get the most use...I'm afraid that at the moment, I'll probably be leaning towards coaster number three, but I have hopes that number one will become more and more necessary as my children's novel progresses.

1 comment:

Anamaria (bookstogether) said...

I love the kitty! As for the needles pointing the wrong way, I keep meaning to write a blog post about how knitting is misrepresented in picture book illustrations. There's an otherwise lovely book by Kate Klise called Shall I Knit You a Hat? or something like that, and the needles are wrong in every pic. And there's more! I think it's contributing to my inability to learn to knit.

And...I have that poster (keep calm). Good advice should I ever follow it. Can't wait to hear more about your children's novel, too.