5 Stupid Things I Regularly Do in the Kitchen
- Use a metal knife to pry bagels out of the toaster.
- Boil stuff over. Particularly beets because the magenta juice is fun to clean off of a white stove top.
- Yell at my kids to get their own damn snacks and then realize I've put all of the possible foods out of reach on the top shelves of the cabinets. They can either stack chairs to reach them or they are left with dried beans, rice and flour that they can munch on. Yummy!
- Forget to use my potted herbs that sit in the window behind the sink. My rosemary is turning into a shrub and I don't think I've remembered to use it in the past 6 months. I made roast chicken and potatoes last week and forgot--again--to snip off a little. I think I need to equip my herbs with microphones so they can yell at me. And brains. And mouths...
- Blame the fridge-that-I-hate for my poor memory and habit of letting vegetables in the crisper liquefy before I remember they are there. I'm sure that one of the $1500+ fridges-that-I-covet-and-will-never-own would poke me or something before the scallions turn to slime.
So please, to the 5 people listed below, help me feel that I am not alone and share with me some of the stupid shit you chew yourself out about, and yet continue to do:
Teacher Patti at Teacher in the Hood
one (or all!) of the lovely ladies at Gastronomical Three
Mom at Mother's Kitchen
Ed, at Vacuum
Jen, at A2eatwrite