Monday, May 23, 2005

Garden Bounty

It has begun! My garden has started producing and we now have months of fresh delicacies to look forward to. This year I planted (in alphabetical order): arugula, basil, beets, kale (red russian and dinosaur), lettuce (bib, romaine, oak leaf), mache, mesclun mix, peas, pole beans, radishes, rainbow chard, spinach, tomatoes (green zebra, sungold cherry, and beefsteak). Also small quantities of herbs right outside the kitchen: basil, chives, rosemary, sage, spearmint, thyme. I think that's it. I decided to leave the cucumbers and zucchini to the farmers' market because I'm not a fan of prickly vines.

Here is a photo of some of the radishes I harvested yesterday, destined for a radish salad tonight:

"Easter Egg" variegated radishes (pink, red and white)
I also thinned out the romaine lettuce and the arugula and brought home enough for a few salads.

Today I'm going to track down some flank steak to make a grilled steak with arugula and goat cheese recipe for dinner. I will report back on my progress to make a flank steak that doesn't end up like shoe-leather...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a wonderful garden--please post a picture of it if you can!

Anonymous said...

How did the steak/arugula salad turn out?