Thursday, June 23, 2005

Crema removal technique

I need some advice from you espresso pros out there (you know who you are): How do you get the crema out of the espresso cup and into the latte?
Here is a photo of my soon to be combined coffee beverage this morning:

God, I love my Saeko espresso classico...
And here it is after I dumped the espresso shots in.

I have a BIG problem with leaving all that luscious crema in the cup, but other than spraying the cup with non-stick cooking oil (eeeewwww) I can't figure out a way to get it out.

Techniques I have employed that are not satisfying or socially acceptable:

1. Dunk the espresso cup in the warm milk and swish it around a little and dump the resulting crema milk mix back in the cup. Works ok with steamed milk, but not when I froth because then the foam just gets stuck on top of the crema in the espresso cup.

2. Use an appendage to scrape the crema out--a finger if I'm feeling delicate, and when I'm too greedy for that, I just lick it out. Obviously this isn't a technique I can employ when making coffee for a friend. I can't even engage in the licking mode in front of the two year old since she already has a tendency to over do it in the physical confrontation with food and I don't want to encourage her.

Ideas? Techniques? Sneaky way to get the good stuff out?

3 comments:

Corvus said...

You need one of those soft little batter spatulas.

Ooo! Or a little baby spoon with a soft rubber coating.

zoe said...

Kate-
I've been thinking about you and all the glorious food stories I delight in reading here. Just thought I would share one of my favorite treats... Rumtopf or "rum pot".
The recipe is simply: summer fruit (strawberries, cherries, plums, peaches, nectarines, etc.) covered by equal parts rum and sugar.
If you haven't had it before, don't listen to recipes which require a clay pot, etc. You may use a glass jar with a lid and a plate to hold the fruit beneath the liquid.
The hard part: you must leave this in the fridge (after you've added to it all summer) until at LEAST Thanksgiving! Oh, the temptation. It's really great for Christmas (take it from the Jew). Enjoy! It's worth the wait :)
XO,
Zoe

Kate said...

Mmmmmm Rumtopf! That sounds amazing. I'll have to give it a try, though I don't know if I have the will power to wait and wait and wait and wait...