Thursday, June 23, 2005

Crema removal technique

I need some advice from you espresso pros out there (you know who you are): How do you get the crema out of the espresso cup and into the latte?
Here is a photo of my soon to be combined coffee beverage this morning:

God, I love my Saeko espresso classico...
And here it is after I dumped the espresso shots in.

I have a BIG problem with leaving all that luscious crema in the cup, but other than spraying the cup with non-stick cooking oil (eeeewwww) I can't figure out a way to get it out.

Techniques I have employed that are not satisfying or socially acceptable:

1. Dunk the espresso cup in the warm milk and swish it around a little and dump the resulting crema milk mix back in the cup. Works ok with steamed milk, but not when I froth because then the foam just gets stuck on top of the crema in the espresso cup.

2. Use an appendage to scrape the crema out--a finger if I'm feeling delicate, and when I'm too greedy for that, I just lick it out. Obviously this isn't a technique I can employ when making coffee for a friend. I can't even engage in the licking mode in front of the two year old since she already has a tendency to over do it in the physical confrontation with food and I don't want to encourage her.

Ideas? Techniques? Sneaky way to get the good stuff out?

1 comment:

Kate said...

Mmmmmm Rumtopf! That sounds amazing. I'll have to give it a try, though I don't know if I have the will power to wait and wait and wait and wait...