Saturday, March 25, 2006

Rat melon

Brian and I have been checking out Cute Overload a little too often because last week when we went to Arbor Farms we couldn't resist tossing this in the cart:
That may look like a normal melon, but allow me to give you a sense of the scale:
It is about the length of a three-year-old's tibia. Another bonus: it was only $2 and gets along well with Kermit the Frog.

Brian, always one to push things just a step further, then created this last night:
A rabid-red-eyed rat-melon.

Despite the kids' affection for the mini-melon and my fear that they would take mutilation of the rat badly, they ate some of it (yes, even Ian!). Unfortunately, the taste didn't match up with the cuteness factor--full-size melon tastes a lot better. This one was a little bit over ripe and had a distinctly squash-y aroma. I know, melon is technically a squash, but I don't like to be reminded of its savory sibling while eating it.

There is still a good amount left over which will be transformed into rabid-rat-melon popsicles later today (blenderize them with a little juice of your choice and freeze in a popsicle mold).

It may not seem like popsicle season to all of you out there (especially since we woke up today to find a dusting of snow) but to the small people in this house it is never too cold for popsicles.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to tell you, that snow this morning totally brought me down.

I love Arbor Farms - they are the only place in town that sells "Bumble Bars" which is really glorified bird seed, but I like 'em.

Kate said...

And Arbor Farms is the only place in town that has black balloons available for the kids at the check out! My 3 year old always wants black (she seems to have inherited my oh so sunny disposition...) and gets pretty miffed if we go to Trader Joes where all the balloons are in happy colors.