Wednesday, October 15, 2008

snort!

The critter thought it was fun. When I told him that today wasn't a test day and he'd have to wait until Thursday, he gave a big sigh of disappointment. Yet again, I am left scratching my head.

I had another head-scratching moment today in relation to my vegetable garden. I think I've mentioned how disappointing my garden has been this year: 3 of the tomatoes got wilt and 2 got the bottom rotting fungus, beans died, cucumber withered, lettuce was nibbled by cute baby bunnies, spinach bolted, zucchini plants flowered then turned yellow and died, carrots stayed stumpy and barely edible, need I go on? The only vegetables I got enough of were arugula, kale, peas, scallions and basil. So I've decided to get a farm share next year and just plant fun stuff in the garden--pumpkins, potatoes, peas, (only vegetables that start with the letter P?), stuff that we never can have too much of and that won't impact our diet too much if they fail.

With such a track record of plant death and destruction, when I saw one of the few surviving tomato plants dropping its tomatoes before they turned red I assumed it was another failure and my thumb was turning a fine shade of black.
Only today I remembered that I had planted a yellow tomato plant and they were falling off the vine because they are ripe. Snort!

3 comments:

Jen said...

Your harvest is MUCH bigger than mine - I have one, rotted green tomato.

This is why, yes, I get a farm share.

Stella said...

I never cease to be amazed by my inability to predict how my boy will react to certain things. I was sure that the tests in California (which are no doubt similar to the MEAP) would be soul-deadening experiences; I certainly have a whole host of objections to the standardization of schools and schooling in general. That said, last year, during the week of tests, Jeffrey woke up singing one morning, "I love tests . . . I eat tests for breakfast." Harumph.

By the way, it was nice to see you --even if only for a moment!

Edward Vielmetti said...

There is some special talent useful throughout school in knowing how to take tests. I have no idea what earthly good it is once you leave school, but be glad that you have it for now!