Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Tantre farm share, week 4

Whooooo boy! I had trouble fitting all this produce into one photo.
Front row: arugula, dill, peppermint, garlic scapes, 1 pt. shelling peas, 1 qt. strawberries
Back row: 5 (!!) heads of lettuce, radishes, broccoli rabe, turnips with abundant greens, scallions, 4 bunches of spinach
(It might be easier to see this load of green goodness in flickr where I've put notes to identify all the items.)

What I'm planning to do with this week's bounty:
  • Tonight I'm making braised turnips with poppy seeds and bread crumbs to go with some honey balsamic pork medallions and lettuce, radish and scallion salad.
  • I'll use the arugula and some spinach make another batch of Warda's bulgar with spicy greens and I'll resist the urge to scarf it out of the pot--it makes a great lunch.
  • Half of the broccoli rabe will be used to make pizza or calzones with one of my favorite combinations: broccoli rabe, turkey Italian sausage, caramelized onions and ricotta (then I'll blanch and freeze the other half to make this again later).
  • The turnip greens, radish greens, rest of the radishes, some dill, some peas and scallions will go into an improvised spring vegetable soup.
  • The mint will make some Friday mojitos which will precede souvlaki pork, with tzatziki sauce and spinach and feta rice (that also uses scallions and dill).
  • Chicken with garlic scapes and capers will be served with (I'm sure) more salad.
  • The strawberries will be sliced and drizzled with honey to go with honey lavender panna cotta (more details about this recipe in my next post).

1 comment:

Sun Runner said...

I blanched and froze about five pounds of spinach yesterday. My kitchen was like a sauna in the middle of a swamp. I had two pots of water boiling at the same time.

My favorite way to use up vegetables is to throw them into a fritatta. I love fritattas. I made one last night with spinach, green onions, garlic scapes, and sun-dried tomatoes.