Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Tantre farm share, week 5

Vaguely Left to right front-ish: Green frilly lettuce, English Shelling Peas, Parsley, Snap Peas, Summer Onions, Beets, Waido (Asian Greens), Asparagus, Mystery Green (no idea what it is--didn't see it identified in the newsletter)
Vaguely Left to right back-ish: another green frilly lettuce, Romaine Lettuce, Red Oak Leaf lettuce, Turnips, Kohlrabi, Red Russian Kale
(slightly easier to identify in the flickr pic with notes)

What to do with the bounty this week?

Maybe it is the 90+ degree heat + cloud of humidity but the only food I am capable of contemplating at the moment is salad. The idea of even turning on a burner to blanch some asparagus makes me feel overwhelmed. Luckily there are 4 heads of lettuce including two that Brian and I have dubbed "the green frillies" which are our favorite.

I'll have to wait and post my cooking ideas for the week tomorrow--there's supposed to be rain which hopefully will cool it down a little here and make my brain a little more functional. I'm going to go and try to sell the idea of being bunnies for dinner to the critters which, since they are pretty much scared of most vegetables, is sure to go down really well.

2 comments:

Jen said...

This is what I did tonight - the kale and the mizuna-like stuff that isn't mizuna (I forgot what the newsletter said) and the onions and snap peas, asparagus and some mushrooms from the Farmers Market today, and the asparagus and some tofu went into a stir fry over brown rice.

I took a page from your earlier recipe and made this sauce to cook for the last minute:

1/2 tsp sesame oil
1 TBS low sodium tamari
1 TBS mirin
1 TBS gomasio
1/2 tsp thai chili paste
1 tsp grated ginger

I served this with more gomasio at the table.

It was light and delicious and QUICK. I have to add that I had half all the stated veggies, because we split our share.

Salad is tomorrow night.

Sun Runner said...

Is the "mystery green" tatsoi? I got some, too.

Yes, the lettuce situation is out of control. I got a head of lettuce with this week's share that was the size of a basketball.