Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Tantre Farm Share, week 3


Top row: Red Russian kale, big head of lettuce, bag of small lettuces
Bottom row: scallions, lots of garlic scapes, strawberries, black stemmed peppermint, English peas, haruki turnips

It's kind of a small share this week--good thing I only have to feed two people since my critters still only tentatively nibble the occasional piece of lettuce or a few peas. I was hoping for another load of spinach because I have a hankering to make Indian food and saag is one of my favorite dishes. Ah well, it'll have to wait until another week!

  • The kale will get cooked up with garlic and olive oil and combined with cannelini beans, rosemary and parmesan, served with baguette. Beans n' greens Italian style.
  • I'll make a big batch of garlic scape pesto to freeze.
  • Scallions, lettuce and peas will go into another round of Larb Mu (recipe below).
  • The rest of the scallions will probably go into a korean pancake and I'll simmer the turnips with some mirin and soy sauce to serve with them. If I get really motivated I'll stir fry the turnip greens with some tofu and kim chi we'll have a multi course feast!
  • It's been cool in the evenings so I'll have the peppermint tea hot--good post dinner beverage.
  • No reason to do anything with the strawberries but rinse and eat!

Larb Mu (Thai pork salad)
Traditionally this is served with whole lettuce leaves that you use to wrap up a portion of the seasoned meat. My lazy version has you make a big salad for each person and top it with the meat. It makes it a fast week-night meal instead of something I would only take the time to do occasionally.

1 lb ground pork (or turkey)
1 T peanut oil
3 T uncooked jasmine rice
1 T fish sauce
1-2 t sriracha sauce
1 t sugar
juice from 1 lime
1 shallot, sliced thin
2 scallions, chopped
1 head of lettuce, washed and torn
1 C of shredded cabbage
1/2 cucumber, sliced thin
3 or 4 radishes, sliced thin (optional)
fresh peas or pea pods (optional)
1/2 red bell pepper, sliced thing (optional)
small bunch of cilantro, chopped
small bunch of mint, chopped
small bunch of thai (or regular) basil, (optional), chopped

In a small skillet, toast the uncooked rice, stirring so it doesn't burn. It should turn golden brown and have a nutty smell. Grind in a mortar and pestle or a spice or coffee grinder. (If this step sounds like too much of a pain, I've made this salad without the toasted rice powder and thought it was still pretty terrific though I'm sure some people think that it is essential to the dish.)

In a big bowl mix together the fish sauce, sriracha, sugar, lime juice, shallot, and scallions and set aside.

In a big skillet or wok heat the peanut oil and cook the pork (or turkey) until it isn't pink. Crumble it while cooking so it doesn't clump up. Dump the cooked meat into the bowl with the sauce and toss it around a little. Sprinkle in the rice powder.

On plates make a pile of lettuce, top with the chopped/shredded vegetables of your choice. Then place a generous portion of the meat mixture on top. Sprinkle with plenty of the herbs and serve.

2 comments:

Sun Runner said...

I'm plowing along with my single-person eating, but the veggies are starting to pile up. Luckily I have a pal at work on whom I can foist some things.

I think all the garlic scapes are destined for pesto.

anunturi gratuite said...

Oh my God this looks so good and i`m sure that it is delicious too. I think it is not a very difficult recipe so i will give it a try, thanks a lot for sharing.