Saturday, July 16, 2005

my new toy

I still have about half an hour before Nicola's Books opens and I can go get my copy of Harry Potter #6 so I thought I'd introduce you to my new toy:

(Sorry about that fuzzy picture quality)
I was inspired by Chubby Hubby's blog entry about gelato and yesterday decided that since no one got me any of the four things I asked for for my birthday last month (the latest Harry Potter, a burr grinder for my espresso, Bruce Springsteen's Devils and Dust, and an ice cream maker) I would have a little retail therapy and get one myself. I had one of those 20% off one item coupons from Linen's and Things so it came out at $40 and since I just made $100 writing fun little vignettes for the Ann Arbor Observer City Guide, I thought I'd blow a little of it on a late present. So tonight I'm making recipe # 2 chocolate gelato to take to Ami and John's house. I'm just a little concerned that 1.5 quarts (which is all it'll make at one time) will not be enough for all the adults to get some and also satisfy the greedy little mouths of the Entropy kids and their buddy Iris.

Ian is proving himself mightily adept at reading these days--he came up to me with a big smile yesterday and said "you bought an ice cream maker!" I said, "Did daddy tell you that?" Then he looked at me like I was a moron and said "No, I read it on the box." It was a proud mama moment, and god knows those don't happen very often around here. It kind of makes up for Fiona's current troubles with potty training. We can't keep a diaper on the kid but she sure as hell isn't consistent enough to let her wear underwear yet. In the past two days she has peed copiously on one rug and pooped on another.

And with that lovely image, I'll leave you to go get my Harry Potter fix.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my copy of the new Harry Potter, too! I think I'm going to have leave the house for the rest of the day (we're going to Hains Point to see the Awakening statue), otherwise I'd just be lying in wait for the mailman. Can't wait to compare notes!

Oh, and we made some fabulous raspberry sorbet from Mikulski's berries our last year in Michigan...yum.

Julie said...

Isn't it incredible when kids learn to read? It's so amazing to see this whole new world open up to them. That milestone ranks right up there with the first smile.