Saturday, March 19, 2005

chocolate goo

I'm off the hook tonight for most of dinner--Yea! Friends Ami and John are having us over for dinner and they are making the hard stuff--entree, soup, etc. I've offered to bring the fun stuff--wine and dessert. I'm making these molten chocolate puddings that are a cross between a cake and a pudding. Super rich and topped with Creme Fraiche. Maybe I'll remember to bring the camera tonight and take a picture before they are consumed. I'd put in a link to the recipe but it came from a Food and Wine magazine which is less generous with their on-line recipes than Gourmet or Bon Appetit which, as far as I know, post every damn recipe ever published for free access at the Epicurious web site. It's too bad because I find I use the recipes in Food and Wine more often than the recipes in the other two.

I can report back that knitting is possible while grading compositions. I'm trying to fool myself into believing that knitting actually helps me to keep focus better since my mind is less likely to wander to great unknowables, like "when was the last time the bathroom was cleaned?" mid-comp, that is to say, the distraction from the comps is directed rather than all over the place.

Unfortunately grading comps is seriously cutting into my reading time. I can't make much progress on novels right now, so I'm just reading my New Yorker for quick escapes.

If you have a moment, check out John's beautiful photographs on Flickr. My favorite is the chair photo titled "Corner". That and the totally cool and insane burning things set he has.

No comments: